Search

Narcotics Case Against Ray Charles Thrown Out

Jan. 30, 1962 - A criminal case against Ray Charles (pictured in court today), the blind singer-pianist, was dismissed in Indianapolis Municipal Court today on the ground that he was illegally arrested Nov. 14 on a narcotics possession charge. Judge Ernie S. Burke noted that the 31-year-old Los Angeles entertainer had been arrested in his hotel room without warrants for either his arrest or a search. Judge Burke said the Negro pianist had been the victim of a “bad arrest.” “A celebrity is entitled to his constitutional rights, the same as anybody else,” the judge said, accepting a defense motion to suppress evidence. Mr. Charles had been free under bail since shortly after his arrest.

#music #musician #musica #1960s #musically #musicvideo #musicislife #musicians #musicproducer #musiclife #MusicLover #musicfestival #musicismylife #musiclovers #musicianlife #musicals #musicartist #musicvideos #musicblog #musicmonday #musiccity #musiclove #drugs