Search

White House Refutes Eisenhower's Claim about Cuban Invasion Plan

Sept. 11, 1961 - Former President Eisenhower said today that no plans for an invasion of Cuba had been made before he left office. This disclaimer is in sharp contrast to what high officials of both the Eisenhower and Kennedy Administrations have said privately about the genesis of the ill-fated undertaking last April, when Cuban refugees failed to hold a beachhead at the Bay of Pigs. A well-informed source close to the White House commented after Mr. Eisenhower's statement: "I'm sorry to say the General is in error. I not only know there were plans for an invasion while he was in office, there are documents to prove it."


#GOP #republicans #republicanparty #election #americanhistory #politics #coldwar #cuba