Aug. 19, 1961 - A ceremony was held in Ticonderoga, N.Y., today designating Fort Ticonderoga as a national historic landmark. Senator Claiborne Pell of Rhode Island made the dedication on behalf of the Federal Government. The bastion was built by the French as Fort Carillion in 1755. It was sold to the British in 1759. During the Revolutionary War, it was attacked on May 10, 1775, by the Green Mountain Boys and other state militia under the command of Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold, who captured it. Cannons taken from the fort were transported to Boston to lift its siege by the British, who evacuated the city in March 1776.